Pakistan Government’s initiative in the mid seventies to establish new seats of
learning to spur medical education and research in Pakistan helped to
materialize the aspirations of the teachers to open new vistas for community
oriented medical education. Consequently this institution was established on May
2, 1975 as Lahore Medical College.
Prof. Dr. Akhter Hussain
Awan was the first Principal when the college started functioning at Birdwood
Road, Lahore. Dr. Muhammad Afzal Sheikh was the first Professor of Anatomy while
Prof. Dr. Mahmood Ali Malik and late Prof. Dr. Abdul Ghaffar laid the framework
of the Physiology Department. Dr. Sanaullah was the first Administrative Officer
leading a competent team comprising Mr. Mian Nazir Ahmed, Mr. Zeeshan Awan and
Mr. Mirza Muhammad Jamil.
On August 12th 1975, a
batch of three hundred and thirteen students began their first academic day of
what were to become the glorious traditions of a great institution. Two years
later, the College was renamed Allama Iqbal Medical College to commemorate the
centenary celebrations of the great philosopher. Meanwhile, in 1980, the final
plan for Allama Iqbal Medical College Complex was agreed upon and its foundation
stone was laid in March 1980. The college complex was inaugurated by the then
President Ghulam Ishaque Khan on 18th May 1989. The work on 1100 bedded Jinnah
Hospital started in 1988.
Initially the Services
Hospital was affiliated with AIMC, but later as the College moved into its
present campus in 1990, Jinnah Hospital was built as a dedicated teaching
hospital. The Hospital started functioning in 1994, when the OPD was opened.
Soon the department of Radiology, Radiotherapy and Pathology started working.
The emergency and casualty department was opened to public on March 23rd 1995
and the Diabetes Clinic was started on May 28th 1995.
Jinnah Hospital was
officially inaugurated on Feb. 2, 1996 by the then Prime Minister, Mohtarma
Benazir Bhutto reflecting the importance which the Government attaches to the
provision of health opportunities to the community.
Today Allama Iqbal
Medical College Complex has a vast beautiful campus, spread over an area of 103
acres on the canal comprising the basic departments, administrative block, and
library and fountain pavilion, well equipped modern lecture theatre complex and
cafeteria. It provides residential facility for 1000 medical students, 200
internees, 500 nurses and a colony comprising 200 houses for the employees.
For the purpose of
extra- and co-curricular activities, a sports complex including separate
gymnasiums for boys and girls, swimming pool, tennis courts, hockey and cricket
grounds, and an elegant auditorium with a seating capacity of 1000 have also
This illustrious Complex
is meeting with all the requirements of the students of Allama Iqbal Medical
College at under- and post-graduate levels and a large number of patients are
benefiting from it as it provides treatment in all major fields of medicine.
With the co-operation of the government, and the dedication of our teachers and
the commitment of our students, we intend to become the center of excellence in
service for the community.